COTRR appreciates and acknowledges that disability is a consequence of institutional, attitudinal and environmental barriers, which exclude children with special needs from participating in and benefitting from basic services, social benefits and development.
Recognizing the burden of disability on affected families, COTRR, in partnership with SEP (Special Education Professionals) and a network of community volunteers, has been working with over 70No. rural resource limited families taking care of children with special needs in Lari, Kiambu and Kimathi, Murang’a. Through community awareness creation and education, the initiative strives to positively influence the community attitudes towards children with special needs in order to reduce stigma and discrimination while supporting affected families live fulfilled lives through referrals, psychosocial support, mobility, nutrition and livelihood enhancing interventions.
This strategic pillar aims at upscaling and out-scaling the interventions as listed below:
- Increase access to comprehensive home based care and psychological support to Special Needs Children and their guardians.
- Nutritional and Livelihood Support Interventions for families with special needs children.
- Facilitate access to physiotherapy services and provide mobility aids for Children with Special Needs.
- Facilitate awareness creation on the plight of Special Needs Children and their families and strengthened referral systems to increase care and support for children with special needs.
- Equip Special cases who are above 15 years with life skills which will help them earn their living and be independent.
- Lobby for a rehabilitation Centre with necessary facilities, a Therapist and a Special Needs Teacher where SNCs can access the much needed services.